Peg's Reviews > Left Neglected

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

F_50x66
Sep 08, 12

Really liked "still Alice" so I had high expectations for this book. I do like the feeling of having a better understanding of a condition like left neglect and the recovery . I did not have a lot of feeling for Sarah, the main character .
On a similar vein with "still Alice" I felt there was a void in the characters support network (not counting paid helpers ) Eg. The only "friend" that came by was Heidi n commented " I love your house!". Whoah! I can't imagine living in an area all those years and not having friends visiting regularly. Her work associates count? Not in my books! (maybe she turned people off with arrogance , they felt her criticizing their generic high heels?) They certainly weren't there for her. Didn't she have any warm neighbors? College friends? Her husband Bob, didn't he have any family or friends? The kids don't even have friends . In my opinion she had more than the left side neglected , she had neglected to have a social side! It is redeeming that she turns around and seems to really appreciate her own little family and the small Vermont town n people.
I felt the author did a fine job of helping us understand this condition . Her science n medical info seems realistic .
I have recommended Still Alice to everyone I know that loves a good book. I don't feel eager to recommend this to anyone , it's just ok.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Left Neglected.