Christine's Reviews > The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae

The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae by Stephanie Laurens

Sep 08, 12

bookshelves: romance

I've always found Stephanie Laurens to be pretty hit and miss, but I was truly surprised by this pathetic ending to a trilogy I had been enjoying. In the first two books, the earl kidnaps the oldest 2 of 3 sisters, but they both escape. In this book, the final sister willingly agrees to help him, and we find out the whole reason for the kidnappings. It's a little weak, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that Angelica looked across a crowded ballroom in the very first paragraph, locked eyes on the earl's reflection in a glass, and decided he was the man for her. After that, the romantic tension level was precisely 0. The book was dreadfully dull, and her efforts to make him fall in love with her tedious in the extreme. This is, alas, how Laurens often misses -- I can't take the books in which her heroine sets her sights on a man and proceeds to whip him into shape and make him fall in love with her.

The first two books in this series were worth reading all on their own, though, especially the first. And after you read them, you will, like me, want to see what it was all about. So I suppose I recommend this book. (Can't you feel my enthusiasm?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae.