Karen's Reviews > The Black Arrow: A Tale of the Two Roses

The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dec 27, 08

bookshelves: fiction

"An arrow sang in the air, like a huge hornet; it struck old A-- between the shoulder-blades, and pierced him clean through, and he fell forward on his face among the cabbages."

"And then, to the wonder of the lad, this beautiful and tall young lady made but one step of it, and threw her arms about his neck and gave him a hundred kisses all in one."

This is an action movie before there were action movies! I can imagine generations of young and old readers bent over this book, as I was, drawn into the intrigue and romance. Disguises, secret passageways, piracy, changes of fortune--The Black Arrow has it all. I appreciated that the hero, gallant as he was, had many lessons to learn and had to come to terms with his youthful inexperience. And I was glad for two strong heroines who acted on their own. A neat side-effect, too, is that I have become curious to learn more about the War of the Roses.

If in any way the tale fell short, it seemed to me that the ending was a bit too quick and clean. And violence is frequently (but not always) glamorized. Overall, however, I keenly enjoyed The Black Arrow. It lit up these dark winter hours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Arrow.