Wendy's Reviews > One for the Murphys

One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

Sep 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-award-possibilities
Read on September 08, 2012

Multiply manipulative. The actual writing is competent enough, but the characters--and the plot--I can't find anything nice to say. The book is its strongest in the uncomfortable-to-read beginning where Carley has trouble adjusting to her new home. But that's all over much too soon, and there are eventually TWO denouements that don't work. One deliberately withholds information from the reader in order to create and then resolve drama, and the other is cheesy. The author seems to be leading the reader to a conclusion, re: the mother's actions on the night Carley is injured, that I disagree with strenuously. So the book manages to be both overly sweet and borderline offensive to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One for the Murphys.

09/08/2012 page 88
39.0% "Oh, look. A homeless girl who loves to read."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Homeless girl who loves to read sounds good to me, despite the cliché. But your review has convinced me not to add this one.

Gerry Wyatt You're being shortchanged if you dismiss this book because of one myopic viewpoint. Just remember this book is written for middle-grade children, and you will appreciate its message.