Brian's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

198932
Dec 27, 08

bookshelves: childrens
Read in December, 2008

Christmas seemed a good time to revisit this children’s classic. In doing so, I was struck, as always when reading C S Lewis, by how good the narrative voice is. Such a confident stroyteller, he never gets the tone wrong, is never patronising and always sure-footed. Of course, some of his assumptions do not chime with the modern zeitgeist: attitudes to gender roles, for example. But to complain avbout his overt Christianity, as some do, seems misguided to me. One might as well complain about John Bunyan’s Christianity, or Milton’s. That's the whole point. The death of Aslan, for example. which so closely parallels the passion of Christ, is superbly realised and tremendously moving. His characterisation is clear and strong and the characters are surprisingly complex, always having to contend with their own inner struggles as well as the battle between good and evil that rages around them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hannah If you like Narnia, you should check out the "King of the Trees" series, too. I've read all six books in the series. I hear the author is writing more. I think they are better than Narnia, but that's just my opinion. They make nice readalouds, because each book has a pronunciation guide and word index at the back.

Brian Better than Narnia, Hannah? That's quite a recommendation. I'll check them out when they're published in the UK. Thanks for your comment.

Hannah You're welcome. It's not just my opinion, either. Other people are saying the same thing.