Tom Lichtenberg's Reviews > Beasts of New York

Beasts of New York by Jon Evans

Sep 08, 2012

bookshelves: twenty-first-century-literature

This story of the adventures of a Central Park squirrel is far darker than you might anticipate. At times it's downright grizzly, when rats and crows engage in a genocidal war against all squirrels. I could have done with a bit less of that because the main thread, a fascinating and realistic portrayal of the human world from its animal occupants' point of view, is quite excellent and even nearly believable, especially early on before the the Great Quest takes over and turns the whole thing into an Odyssey of rather predictable proportions.

I read the book aloud to my son over the period of a month or so, and we both enjoyed it very much. There were several notions and characters that greatly appealed to us. Our favorites included a wise if wily Coyote, The Queen of All Cats, a captive tiger, a daffy pigeon, and of course the hero, the intrepid Patch, who deals with staggering adversities with stubborn determination and audacious "tree-smarts".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beasts of New York.

09/10/2012
4.0% "Started reading to my son tonight.very impressed. Found a great idea in it. That animals might be able to speak a little of other animals' language ... Squirrel could speak a littler Bird."
09/10/2012
4.0% "A little Bird ... view of New York from the squirrel's perspective is very well done."
show 3 hidden updates…