Amanda's Reviews > Persuaded

Persuaded by Jenni James

Oct 01, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, romance
Read on October 01, 2012

I read this book in less than a day, which was actually a nice change of pace from really long, dense novels that take a while. It is clearly meant for younger readers, and I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more back in middle school. It's not that Jane Austen doesn't translate well to modern day settings. After all, Clueless was genius and I've read quite a few other "updates" to Austen classics that were great. The problem is really that so much of the dialogue is painful to read. Instead of making it her own, it's like James did a direct translation. She looked at each paragraph in Persuasion and directly translated what each word Austen wrote would sound like in a more modern, American speech pattern. And it doesn't work. Teenagers don't talk or think like that. So it just feels unrealistic and watered down. Or overwrought and far too mature for their age.

That said, it's a sweet story that'll make you say awwww. I place the target audience between 12 and 15 or so. But grown up Austen fans probably won't be persuaded to fall in love with this particular adaptation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuaded.