Fiona's Reviews > Mortality

2061083
Sep 18, 12

bookshelves: memoir
Read in September, 2012

What to say about this book... I think that anyone who chooses to read it will have a very personal (unique) interaction with it depending on personal experience with cancer/terminal illness of a loved one and, maybe to a lesser extent, previous appreciation of Hitchens' work. As someone who has not read much of Hitchens' previous writings, my appreciation of this work relies solely on my being someone who has lost loved ones and who is currently experiencing, as a caretaker, the illness of my Mum. To be able, as Hitchens did, to view one's own illness and end with a sometimes detached and witty but at the same time, deeply personal POV (if that makes sense) is truly amazing and, having read this, his last work, I am motivated to seek out more of his writings.

In the end, though, I think it was the final chapter of the book, written by Hitchens' wife, that really got to me. As she describes what comes after the loss and how she can still connect to her husband through the books, papers and notes he left behind (seemingly everywhere), I, the wife of a writer who also has endless notes and books and musings stashed throughout our home, immediately identified with both her grief as well as her appreciation for the legacy her husband left to her and to the rest of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortality.

09/17/2012 page 65
62.0% "heartbreaking and heartening at the same time..."