Kerfe's Reviews > Truth and Beauty

412055
Dec 27, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, biography-memoir
Read in December, 2008

Addicts are not very likable. At best I found Lucy Grealy tiresome. That was at the beginning of Patchett's memoir about their friendship. By the end my feelings for Lucy had turned into active dislike.

I don't think this was the author's intent. When Lucy dies, she says: "I had thought I could let her go. But now I know I was simply not cut out for life without her. I am living that life now and would not choose it." But she never made me see why this should be. Why was she so devoted to Lucy, why were so many others? The Lucy I got to know in this book did not in any way merit such devotion. Yes, she was sucker-punched by life as a child. And survived. But a spoiled brat who was sucker-punched by life is still a spoiled brat. There are many reasons why people use other people. But they are still users.

I also did not much like the Ann Patchett described in this book. And really, their lives were not that enlightening or interesting.

I did like the writing, though, and will probably look to read some of Patchett's novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truth and Beauty.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina (new)

Nina I couldn't agree more. Lucy Grealy just seemed like a giant pain in the buttocks.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary I haven't read Truth & Beauty and probably won't after your review, but for a novel do choose Bel Canto and we'll discuss. --Mary

Kerfe I just reserved it at the library...should come soon.
My friend Dee liked it a lot too.

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina I didn't like Bel Canto either; there is something very pompous or just unappealing about Patchett's work, to me.