Beth's Reviews > What Hides Within

What Hides Within by Jason  Parent

Oct 23, 12

Read from September 08 to October 22, 2012 — I own a copy

This book was a delightful surprise. It can be categorized as drama/thriller/mystery/horror/dark humor - all qualities I love when watching movies but rarely the genres I choose when reading. Even as someone who is not likely within its target audience, I was still intrigued when I read the book's back flap summary.

When I started the book I made sure to keep an open mind since it isn't my usual type of read. It wasn't long before I got "sucked in" - I was captivated early on. I really enjoyed the diversity among the characters and the dynamics between them. I think there are at least one or two characters we can all either relate to or find reminiscent of people in our own lives! There were serious & suspenseful moments, disturbing & twisted moments, creepy & nightmarish moments, gory & graphic moments and then there were others that literally made me LOL!

As with many quality books, the more I read the more I wanted to read. I enjoyed the story's mystery, I was continually trying to guess the pieces of the puzzle and how they would ultimately fit together. I really enjoyed not only the plot but I also appreciated its flow and pace. Every couple of chapters my theories kept changing and evolving; the book certainly kept me on my toes!

I also must pay respect to the author's accuracy and details of several different subject matters within the story. I must say I am impressed with the apparent amount of research that went into the writing of this book. The humor, I can't forget the humor! At the most unexpected moments there would be a line, colloquial saying, or contemporary reference that tickled my funny bone (hence the laughing out loud). There is definitely some colorful language throughout but I wouldn't call it vulgar, it feels appropriate to the character development, the context of the scene(s) and it certainly adds that little extra something that keeps your attention.

There were twists and turns throughout which kept an analytical mind like mine very busy trying to predict where the story was headed right down to the final few chapters. Like I said, this book was a delightful surprise and opened my mind to a couple new genres. All in all, I would undoubtedly recommend this book - two thumbs up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Hides Within.

08/15/2012 page 30
9.0% "I am already quite intrigued..."
show 13 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Darth Fierce One of the best reviews of any book I've read on Goodreads. Nice!

Beth I'm not a writer by any stretch of the imagination. I love to read and was just 'reporting' my thoughts on this piece. The book speaks for itself.

Darth Fierce Beth wrote: "I'm not a writer by any stretch of the imagination. I love to read and was just 'reporting' my thoughts on this piece. The book speaks for itself."