R.J.'s Reviews > Eighth Grade Bites

Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer

Dec 27, 08

Read in December, 2008

My apathy toward vampires is nigh-legendary, but I keep finding books that make me reconsider. The last one was Claudia Grey's Evernight, and I thought that was just a fluke; but now that I've met Vladimir Tod, it seems that I now have two vampire-related series of books to follow.

Vladimir is a sweetheart. Not in a wimpy way (though he does get picked on by a couple of lunkheads at school, but he finds his own ways of dealing with that), I just mean that he's a really nice (yet normal and believable) kid. I enjoyed watching him pick his way through the story's mythology, dealing with confusion and anger and seeming betrayal by friends and all the things that could make him tiresomely emo and self-involved, and yet... not becoming tiresomely emo and self-involved. Just picking himself up, gritting his teeth (or fangs) and resolutely carrying on. Big hugs for that, Vlad.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the complexity of the vampire mythology behind the story, and the indications that the secrets about Vlad's family history and the nature of the vampire world are going to take several more books to explore. That makes me excited to read more in the series, not just to hang out with Vlad again but to watch him develop his powers and his knowledge and tackle bigger enemies along the way... both in high school and in the world of vampires.

Anyway, this was good clean fun and I'm glad I read it. And now I have two more books (so far) to look forward to getting my hands on! Huzzah!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eighth Grade Bites.