roxtao's Reviews > Fade

Fade by A.K. Morgen

Sep 08, 12

Read in September, 2012

I received this book by courtesy of Curiosity Quills Press publisher and the author, A.K. Morgen. Thank you for offering me Fade in order to write a review. Because English is not my native language, please excuse the possible mistakes.

I have to tell you from the beginning that although now, after I finished Fade I can say that it was interesting, the first half of the novel was really annoying. I have to digress a little in order to make you understand what I’m going to say later. I am not pro and I’m not against the famous Twilight series. I’ve read it before the Twilight mania started and it didn’t offer me a major impression. It was..ok, but nothing more. But I think it’s pretty obvious that Stephanie Meyer opened the gates for the fantasy literature and that her influence effused over other new authors. Anyone that denies this should check the number of young adult, fantasy or paranormal books that was published in these last years, compared with the number in the previous years.

However, I think we got to the point where the post Twilight literature is a little difficult to digest. Of course, I’m not talking about all the new novels, but about the ones that re-create most of the aspects from Meyer’s novel. Probably this is the reason why I hated the first half of Fade. Let’s start with the beginning. The girl that has to move with her dad in a small town? Check. The incredible beautiful and mysterious male character? Check. The first meet when everything near them disappears, they lose each other in the other’s sight and their worlds are completely messed? Check. Obsessive attempts from her to discover the truth about him and so called attempts from him to avoid it? Check. Mind reading? Check. Unnatural things, happening after they met? Check. Hmm..was there something else? Oh, yes, we should't forget that she stumbles a lot. So..this is the action in the first half of the book. And like this wouldn’t be enough, we also discover lots of pages full of thinking, meditations, incursions in the pained soul of the protagonist, thoughts and assumptions. I didn’t abandoned the book only because I was sorry for the time spent until that moment. If I already read half of the book, at least I should be comforted that I was able to read the full novel.

But, from the middle of the book, everything changes. The first surprise was that the male character is not a werewolf, as I suspected, but a shifter. I know it’s not a big difference, but it was the first sign of a sequence of surprises. I was sure that the story will develop in a very predictable way, without bringing anything surprising. But the storyline went in a totally different direction. I was suddenly thrown in the Scandinavian mythology, from where a Norse prophecy influences the lives of our characters. We’re suddenly caught in a game full of legends, reincarnation, unknown creatures we never meet in other fantasy books, enemies that we don’t know yet, secondary characters that change their place with the main characters and negative characters that actually have a very different role. As bored I was when I read the first part of the book, as fascinated I was when I got to the second one. I loved the secondary characters and I thought it was a welcomed change the fact that their roles become really important. I liked the wolf pack that keeps it’s natural way, having common rituals and having no supranatural characteristics. I appreciated the fact that the male character was not built in the usual way: dauntless and invincible. On the contrary, he has deep rooted fears and he is as frightened as the heroine by the unknown. Also, I liked the fact that the author offers a reason why all those supranatural beings are all living in a small place and she doesn’t treats this fact as a normal thing.

Still, there are two things that bothered me in this second part of the novel. First: the same bent for meditation and the amount of thoughts of the protagonist, thoughts that usually do nothing else but fill the pages. The second thing is the way the Norse prophecy was brought in the readers’ attention. Although a part of it is explained, there are a few aspects of it that remain in darkness. Somehow, you get the feeling that you didn’t read the whole text and you’re missing the most important thing. For a while, there is no mention about the prophecy and suddenly, all the characters are talking about it like they would continue an old conversation. I know that sometimes, you forget how it feels not knowing a certain thing and because of this, your explanations may be unclear for a person that hears about that thing for the first time. So I suppose the author probably boned at the subject of Scandinavian mythology and now fails to present the subject as novelty, and more like all the readers would have the same level of information about it like she has.

Pros:

- The storyline is different from other fantasy novels and brings a new vision and also a collection of new and intriguing characters and creatures.

Cons:

- Twilight influences: to many, to obvious and to insistent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fade.