Kelly H. (Maybedog)'s Reviews > Deadtown

Deadtown by Nancy Holzner

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: what-tastes-like-children, what-modern-fantasy, what-vampires, what-shifters, when-reviewed
Read from September 13 to 14, 2012

There is a lot to like about this series and I mostly enjoyed the book but I just couldn't stand the self-absorbed main character.

What I did like (because it's always best to start out on a positive) was that the protagonist, a woman, was strong and capable and didn't need to be saved by men--she kept saving the men. I liked the variety if characters and that there were racial traits, like vampires generally didn't have a good sense of humor. It made it more real than all creatures were the same except for personality. I liked the world, and though it's been done before, the scenario brought up some interesting moral questions. Obviously someone who can think and reason and has independent thought is a person and should have rights. But what about when those rights infringe on the rights of others? The blood driven creatures in the book go nuts when presented with a small amount of blood, trying to eat the bleeder. If children of these creatures went to school with humans and a kid fell and scraped her knee on the playground, a common enough scenario, her life would be in danger. So whose rights come first?

I liked a lot of the characters, although Tina needed some serious disciplining. Juliet was wonderful, although her provenance was silly. I really liked both love interests but the barriers put up by the author to keep Vicky away were ridiculous, contrived, and transparent. I wanted more emotion and passion, more chemistry. The resolution was too easy as well.

The words flowed, the action was interesting, although I prefer a little more of the type where one person is in peril and the other is terrified for that person and fighting to save them both. There was mostly one on one stuff here.

What I didn't like was the protagonist Vicky.
She dresses like almost every other slutty UF heroine: leather "jeans," spiked boots, leather jacket. Not only is this stupid when fighting demons but it's also unoriginal not to mention tacky. She's also an idiot. She jumps to ridiculous conclusions that are of course wrong and they always revolve around her. She also fails to see clues so big my dog would notice.

But that pales next to the fact that she  was the most self absorbed heroine I've ever read who isnt supposed to be an antihero. She doesn't care about anyone but herself and one character actually says that to her early on.

A couple of times she misses meeting with someone and it takes her a long time to even remember, she's just so in her own head. She never feels guilt for this and the other person always takes it way too well, even when they really needed her and she doesn't give them an excuse.

One of the best examples happens in the beginning:

(view spoiler)
I had more examples typed in but the iPhone app lost them and now I don't remember but here's one more big one:

(view spoiler)

This quote sums up her mentality:

"For me, ethics were a lot simpler. If you had a problem and you could afford my fee, I'd help you out. And if you were a demon and you came after me, I'd kill you." pg. 144

But in my mind the most heinous and egregious things she did was this which happened late in the book but I'm leaving out all specifics including names and scenarios:

(view spoiler)

So I give the plot, world building, character development, etc., 3.5 stars. I give the protagonist one star. I am going to read the next one because she did a tiny bit of growing and there's a lot of potential here but I really need her to get her head out of her a$$ and consider other people's needs.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadtown.

message 1: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" If I were a slutty heroine, I'd dress like Frida Kahlo. That'd throw people off. ;-)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides Are there supposed to be a bunch of things in your review that say [spoilers removed] and aren't clickable links, or am I doing it wrong somehow?

message 3: by Kelly H. (Maybedog) (last edited Aug 13, 2014 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kelly H. (Maybedog) That's totally bizarre. I swear they worked when I first did them and tested them. So frustrating! I think it was because I did them on the iPhone app. Now they're gone of course. argh!

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides Oh man, that's obnoxious. I think I've seen people mentioning lots of issues with that app ... but maybe that's just in my head.

message 5: by Kelly H. (Maybedog) (last edited Sep 16, 2012 08:23PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Ok, I put back in what I could remember.

They updated the app so it has a lot of features but apparently they haven't fixed all the bugs. It's still handy to look up and add books.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy Sounds like an anti-heroine, are you sure that isn't the direction the author was going? She's absolutely horrid.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Sorry, I missed a bunch of my message alerts which is why I'm late replying. I don't know. It's possible. I was never invested enough to continue the series to find out. :)