Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}'s Reviews > What Kills Me

What Kills Me by Wynne Channing

Sep 10, 12

bookshelves: vampires, young-adult, read-in-2012, paranormal-romance, blog-tour-review
Read from September 07 to 08, 2012

A thrilling tale of an accidental heroine's journey from teenager to immortal!

Seventeen year old Alexia is living abroad in Italy when she meets a handsome stranger who leads her into a dangerous trap, causing her untimely death. When she reawakens as an immortal vampire, her life is once again threatened by a centuries old prophecy. Faced with ruthless mercenaries out to destroy her, Alexia must team up with Lucas, a vampire blade smith in order to hold on to her immortality.

What Kills Me is an exciting breath of fresh air into the world of vampires. While all vampires are turned in this world, Alexia is born into the world of immortality. That being said, this book does not include the teenage angst, love at first sight and woe is me elements of some novels in the young adult genre that I sometimes dread.

Alexia, also known as Zee, is only a teenager when her life is cut short, and yes she makes some naive mistakes (such as sneaking out to meet up with a strange boy in a strange city!) but quickly transforms into solid heroine when she becomes a vampire. She doesn't have any time to take in everything that's happened to her but still keeps a level head and becomes a fighter with the help of Lucas. I really admire the character development the author creates with Alexia.

Every paranormal romance needs its hero, and while there's no climactic love triangle or swoon worthy romance involved, our story has a brooding blade smith vampire who wants nothing to do with our heroine at first and entertains with his sometimes brutish ways and smart mouth. Besides the fun banter between these two, their relationship slowly develops into a strong bond that shows Lucas' vulnerable side. He's a protector and teacher to Alexia in her time of need and watching this unlikely couple come together is a joy.

Ms. Channing's eye for detail is captured in the vivid imagery she conveys through her unique writing style. The story is anything but predictable and the world she's created is dark and ruthless, but not without it's fair share of humor. There are a couple of twists that keep you on edge as the plot slowly builds and we're left with somewhat of a cliffhanger. Fast paced and full of action, What Kills Me is an engaging read that leaves you longing for a sequel.

{ebook courtesy of Dark Mind Tours}

Original Romancing the Darkside Review:
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Kills Me.