Kristin Anders's Reviews > Diary of a One-Night Stand

Diary of a One-Night Stand by Alexandrea Weis

Sep 07, 12

This book was reviewed by Musing Maddie for Ravishing Romances. Read the full review here.

How are the sex scenes?

Passionate and fast paced, with a little slow and seductive thrown in on occasion. It was almost cringe worthy to read “Every time I’m inside of you it’s getting harder and harder to control myself." The shower scene however – hot!

How are the story lines?

They tackle the sad circumstance of a disintegrating marriage, the consequences of a passionate fling and the sordid city council dealings of a post Hurricane Katrina New Orleans. The story is at times a little unbelievable yet does have a surprisingly satisfying outcome.

Review

As a general rule, starting a book with infidelity does not engender the desire to continue to a story’s conclusion. Despite fairly weak dialogue at times, and questionable leaps in time, author Alexandrea Weis has managed to produce a story that you do want to finish.

For those who need their HEA, you will find it in Diary of a One Night Stand! It’s not a book for readers who just want a light hearted romp, yet it is a compelling book to read, if you can digest a little intensity.

For a fifty two year old, Scott Ellsworth is certainly a voracious lover. It’s not surprising that the lonely, affection starved Kara, keeps coming back for more.

One thing that is somewhat irritating throughout the book is the dysfunctional relationships that Kara has with everyone in her orbit. She seems to be very self absorbed with little foresight of the consequences of her actions. As she becomes more self aware, and is more honest with her mother Helen, her husband Cal, and even her boss Joe, she becomes more honest with herself, and as a result, almost likeable.

Thankfully, there are a few moments of light-hearted relief in the form of Simone, Kara’s feisty, ten year old daughter. Her take on the world, and her funny quips and delightful sense of humour, are nicely written. For the most part though, Diary of a One Night Stand, is quite sad.

An Epilogue is provided, giving the reader some hope and a smile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a One-Night Stand.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Nice review, Sal. But I'll give this one a miss.

Kristin Anders Jill wrote: "Nice review, Sal. But I'll give this one a miss."

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Musing wrote: "Jill wrote: "Nice review, Sal. But I'll give this one a miss."

I understand. Notice I have a reviewer for the site now?? I know. Gives my blog a false sense of importance. :)"

Hey, that's great Sal! And a Aussie.
Did you just have way too many reviews to do yourself?

Kristin Anders Jill wrote: "Musing wrote: "Jill wrote: "Nice review, Sal. But I'll give this one a miss."

H..."

Sort of. I'm backed up for about 6 weeks and can't accept anymore. But I have some friends who want to try their hand at reviewing, yet don't want to manage a blog or account.

They take new books, I read the ones on my list.

Also helps their $$ to get free books. Works well for us all.