Melly's Reviews > Rape Girl

Rape Girl by Alina Klein

Sep 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-releases, arcs-and-galleys, tears, young-adult
Read on September 07, 2012

The message behind Rape Girl is one that all women, young and old, need to be reminded of. Because of the author’s own experience, the book accurately describes the thoughts and feelings of a rape victim. I wish that there were books like this available when I was in high school. Rape is not a fun or entertaining topic, but it’s real, it happens, and we need to talk about it.

In Valerie’s case, she wasn’t beaten or threatened; therefore, she feels guilt and shame, and even doubts herself about what really happened. This kills me. It literally kills me. Thankfully, she gets the courage to speak up and tell someone. But in her case, just about everyone turns on her and doesn’t believe her. It’s her word against his. People are downright evil to her, but she finds hope, and presses forward. In her own way, she fights back.

This book opens up old wounds. It angered me, it devastated me, it made my skin crawl, but it also helped me. If you’re a victim of rape, whether you are a man or a woman, there is no shame in that. You did nothing wrong. No will always mean no, regardless of the circumstances. Tell someone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rape Girl.