Stina Zombean's Reviews > Black Blade Blues

Black Blade Blues by J.A. Pitts

Sep 09, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, favorites
Read from September 07 to 08, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Going to try to keep this short, and there are likely some mild spoilers:

There are a few things I really loved about this book, and one of them was completely unexpected.

It was steeped in Norse mythology and lore, which is a guilty pleasure of mine. The lore was handled brilliantly and the characters were very fun.

What I did not expect and very much enjoyed was Sarah's inner (and occasionally outer) turmoil with being a lesbian despite the indoctrinated religious upbringing she had from strict close-minded parents. Many novels will give you a homosexual character but make them very secure in that fact (which I like) but in story, you get to witness Sarah's struggle to deal with how her da would perceive her and how she felt about her girlfriend. It felt honest and sincere and gave Sarah more depth.

One thing that did irk me was Sarah's constant flying off the handle over things, but to be fair this was explained in a what I found to be a satisfactory manner. Sarah eventually gets the swing of things, so I am far less annoyed with her hot temper than I was initially.

The people of Black Briar are hilarious and make a wonderful supporting crew.

Quite obviously, I am very much looking forward to the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Blade Blues.

09/07/2012 page 223