Rae's Reviews > Between the Lines

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, ya-childrens
Read from September 06 to 07, 2012

"Just because it's fiction doesn't mean it's any less true," Oliver replies. (272)

"Just so you know," I begin, "when they say, 'Once upon a time'...they're lying. It's not once upon a time. It's not even twice upon a time. It's hundreds of times, over and over, every time someone opens up the pages of this dusty old book." (334)

What if the books we read actually take place in an alternate world, where the characters act out the plot line over and over again as the book is opened by us, the readers? That is the premise behind this delightful story for older middle school/young adult folks. Or an older reader like me looking for something quick and mild.

This is a joint effort by Jodi Picoult and her teenage daughter, Samantha Van Leer. Though it is far from perfect (loose plot threads, contrived ending, and simplistic characters and dialogue), I found it a sweet read. It was just what I needed after recently sampling several unsatisfying and downright offensive new and "critically acclaimed" titles that were pretty much stinky.

"The act of reading is a partnership. The author builds a house, but the reader makes it a home." (287)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Lines.