Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > Just One Last Night

Just One Last Night by Helen Brooks

Just One Last Night is a very good and quick contemporary romance about an estranged married couple who have a very tragic event in their lives that causes a rift in their marriage.

Without spoiling readers, I would say that what happens to this couple was very devastating, and it would take two very devoted people in love to overcome it. Melanie is already carrying baggage from her childhood, on top of their recent tragedy, and this acts as the icing on the cake for her belief that she is poison to love. What I loved about this book is that Forde is a man who loves his wife enough to fight for her, and he loves her in spite of the way she pushes him away. When he made those marriage vows, he took them seriously, and is more than willing to fight for his marriage. A devoted hero is Helen Brooks' stock in trade, and she does it very well. One of my favorite kinds of heroes is a devoted one who will surmount any obstacle to win the woman he loves.

I could understand Melanie's emotional wounds. I could even give her some slack for how she was pushing Forde away, although she was admittedly being irrational about her past and how it affected her self-image. I mean, that's very human to be less than level-headed when it comes to emotions and their impact on our lives.

I especially enjoyed the cozy days around Christmas that Melanie and Forde shared, their feline companion(s), and the unique way that this couple becomes reunited. I'd have to be honest and admit I'm not big on stories with estranged married couples. However, Brooks acquitted herself admirably with this book. The execution was well-done, and Just One Last Night was a very good book to read in the month of December to get me in the Christmas mood.

I recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just One Last Night.

08/31/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by AgentScully (last edited Dec 25, 2012 06:13PM) (new)

AgentScully Nice review Dr D! I'd love a feline companion right about now :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Scully. We have two cats and boy do they have personalities. I hope you are able to get a pet soon.

message 3: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Nice review Danielle!

message 5: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Thanks Dr D, but sadly I am severely allergic to cats. Sad cuz I adore them :-(

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) They are a heap of trouble. I think the Sphinx breed is hypoallergenic.