abcdefg's Reviews > The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey

The Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto Guevara

F_50x66
What a beautiful, amazing book.

This is Che's personal account of his journey with his companion Alberto Granado through Latin America on their motorcycle dubbed La Poderosa II.

Only 23, he begins his journey as a medical student and emerges with a new perspective of South America. This perspective informs his future as a political revolutionary.

His compassion for the proleteriat as he describes miners who work in deplorable and dangerous conditions, the Indians of Peru being carted off in trucks like cattle, and the general degradation of the once proud and noble race of Incas in Cuzco subject to unjust prejudices and lack of education conveys his concerned and humanitarian tendencies. We really get a picture of a highly intelligent young man here, waking up to his own destiny.

The chapter titled "A Note In The Margin" is prophetic, and beautifully written. Che is not quintessentially a poet (though he has an appreciation for poetry), but his narrative style shows a lot. Moments under the stars, in the jungle, amidst ancient ruins or colonial architecture, we really get images from his narrative that stick.

And there is humor along with adventure in this work that just blows me away. I have to remind myself sometimes that this is a true life account.

This work is infused with courage, intelligence, compassion, and hope for solidarity and justice--all of which are aspects and traits of Che himself. I've never read anything by or about Che Guevara until now.

And now, I can't help but be interested in pursuing more of his works.

Superb.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Motorcycle Diaries.

01/30/2009 page 0
show 12 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

abcdefg So far, this is fabulous. I can't wait to see the movie.