Sophie's Reviews > Fire

Fire by Kristin Cashore

May 10, 2014

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, fiction, read-in-2009, read-in-2012, s-o-b-b-i-n-g
Read from May 06 to 07, 2012 , read count: 2

I re-read this after reading Bitterblue, and I liked it a lot this time around. I must have liked it last time too because my review was simply "I loved it," but somehow in the meantime I had grown to think of it as far inferior to Graceling.

I think maybe the pacing of this book is a little off. I don't know if Cashore was being pressured to write faster, but I think this book could have used some re-structuring. We get a lot of Fire's backstory before we really get to know and care about her, and it takes a while for the action to get going. Maybe that was deliberate--it is a quieter book, more about Fire's inner journey than the action going on around her. But it doesn't immediately pull the reader in the way Graceling does.

I identified a lot with Fire on this re-read. I think now that I'm not comparing her to Katsa, I can see her strengths more clearly. She's actually a lot more like Po--her power is mental. She's trying to learn to deal with her power, and how to use it wisely, without abusing it as her father did. People resent her for it, much like those who learn Po's secret resent him, but she can't help having that ability. What she can choose is what ends to use it for.

Spoilers for Bitterblue: (view spoiler)

There are so many more books Cashore could write in this world. If she does, I'll be very happy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire.

Quotes Sophie Liked

Kristin Cashore
“Brigan was saying her name, and he was sending her a feeling. It was courage and strength, and something else too, as if he were standing with her, as if he'd taken her within himself, letting her rest her entire body for a moment on his backbone, her mind in his mind, her heart in the fire of his.
The fire of Brigan's heart was astounding. Fire understood, and almost could not believe, that the feeling he was sending her was love.”
Kristin Cashore, Fire

08/11/2009 page 65
13.54% "rather a lot of animal torture in this book."