Lindsay's Reviews > Biting the Wax Tadpole: Confessions of a Language Fanatic

205963
Dec 29, 08

bookshelves: language, biographymemoir, non-fiction
Read in December, 2008

I had been lusting after this book after listening to possibly my all-time favorite episode of TTBOOK. And it was great for those of us who can get geeked-out on language. I find that I appreciate some of the same linguistic idiosyncrasies as Little, which is always heartening, and her discussion of Semitic languages has convinced me to add one to my list of languages I'd like to learn someday. This is thoroughly a trivia book that, I think, is best geared toward anyone with a background in foreign language study as I could imagine all the grammar-speak might leave more than a few lost. Although, to her credit, Little goes the extra mile in explaining all the crazy terms and linking them to pop culture to make her passion more accessible. For me, the overabundance of pop culture references began to bore me...made her out to be a sort of linguistic Chuck Klostermann--maybe a little cutesier. That sort of in-crowd snarkiness I generally only tolerate in discussions with my friends (my double standard: coming from us it's OK, from others--they're an asshole). But that's just my beef.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Biting the Wax Tadpole.