Deb's Reviews > The Belgariad: Volume One

The Belgariad by David Eddings

Dec 26, 08

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy-sf
Read in December, 2008

I re-read the Belgariad and the Mallorean every few years, and having a book with the first three novels bound together was simply perfect for the long hours of waiting & busing that the piles of snow has doomed my city to.

The sole failing Eddings has as an author is that after reading his first series (The Belgariad), you notice that every high fantasy novel of his & Leigh's written after that contains the exact same plot.

No joke. After the twin series set of the Belgariad & Mallorean, the epic adventure is repeated in The Elenium & The Tamuli trilogies. Finally, he winnows the same plot down to one book in "The Redemption of Althaeus." None of the books are bad, all are a pleasure to read, they're just extremely similar. I finally gave up and didn't read beyond the first or second book of his latest series, "The Dreamers."

Reading Eddings is like eating mac n' cheese or slurping your favorite soup. Winter = the time for this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Belgariad.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ttg (new)

ttg Ah,Eddings...I read this series and its sequel during spring break some year in high school. Lots of fun to fly through, and I didn't really pick up how similar they are, or if I did, I liked his "patterns". The second series with Sparhawk was also fun, but finally, with Redemption, it stood out REALLY clear...that's when I realized that I couldn't take those "patterns" anymore, or they just weren't that interesting. (Another god-like girl child who talks like an adult??? Really???)

Which would you qualify as your fave? I haven't gone back to reread any of them, but I have fond thoughts of the Belgariad quintet...

message 2: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb The Belgariad/Mallorean grouping is the only one I re-read, so I think by default that's my favorite?