Nancy's Reviews > I'd Know You Anywhere

I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman

Sep 07, 12

Read in September, 2012

I don't usually give five stars to genre fiction. But Lippman does something really unique with this thriller, fleshing out characters completely in a stand-alone book, rather than taking multiple volumes for readers to connect with fully realized people. She can tell us an entire story about someone in a single paragraph, using metaphors, examples, remembered anecdotes, song titles and descriptive bits. Stephen King was right--it's amazing fiction, a delicious read.

I would imagine that most thriller readers would be disappointed in the outcome, or flummoxed by the fact that Eliza, the main character, isn't scrappy and clever, the way most thriller heroines are. She seems rather passive, in fact. But that's what makes the book so much more engaging than a plot-driven, hyper-suspenseful, ends-with-a-shootout novel. It's Eliza's cautious, sensitive nature that preserved her life. Going along to get along--and the ability to heal, nurtured by forgiving parents--turned out to be the right formula for surviving and rebuilding.

Lippman explores the relationship between survivor and victim, especially when they are one and the same. A masterfully conceived page-turner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'd Know You Anywhere.