CekMoNSter's Reviews > Dear John

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: romance, motivation, favourite-writers, english
Read on September 08, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This review contain book rave and moview rant..Proceed with caution..

For some reasons, even as a Sparks` fan I`ve been avoiding reading his Dear John novel.I know how popular it had gotten since the movie premiere, but I guess the happy ending sucker in me motivates me to do that. You see, being a person who hates shock, most of the time before I read a book, I would usually check for the blurb or summary, so Dear John was no exception. I read the spoilers. Knowing the outline of the story, inside and out were no new things for me. And for this particular book, I`ve stumbled upon its differences in book and movie adaptation.
Personally, I would say that both actors, Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried were my few favourites. So, the movie was awesome for me by the casts` merit alone. What make the book and movie excellent to me had to be the writings for the book and the characters`s portrayal in the film.I`ll explain.

For the book, it felt that I was submerged in John`s deep thinking. I love the way it was writing, where I felt more attached and sympatize with John than I have ever thought I would. The quality and how the author really tried to incorporate enough essense without being to suffocating was a job well done to me. The only thing that I hate from the book, had to be Savannah`s characterization. She was selfish in the way she hurts John`s feeling when she felt in love with someone else, and again when she tried to leave her husband. It was definitely petty of her, despite the cool and kind portrayal of her character. I didn`t like her in the book, as much as I love Amanda Seyfried playing her character in the movie. Which actually says a lot. And because of that, I`m a bit grateful for the ending of this. John aka Channing Tatum deserved someone better..ME!

I guess, being a familiar reader around Sparks` book, I can safely says there are three categories when it comes to rate his book. The bombastic ones, the great, and the mediocre. And guess where DJ stands in? Based on the writing alone, I would pull for the first band, the bombastic book! It managed to make my eyes tears, which happens a lot when reading Sparks` book. I love that it wasn`t fluffy, nor too frigid. Just warm enough to melt your hearts.

All in all, a good read. You can easily finish this one in a few hours. NUff said~
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear John.