Catherine Fitzsimmons's Reviews > Open

Open by Andre Agassi

Sep 07, 12

Read in December, 2009

I don’t tend to read nonfiction, and I had never read a biography before, let alone a memoir. I went to a book signing by the tennis star to get a Christmas present for my mother, who’s a big tennis fan. I read most of the first chapter as I made my way through the line and enjoyed it enough to continue.

I don’t really know what I was expecting from this book, if anything, but it ended up exceeding my expectations by a wide margin. It’s a stark and defiantly honest book, and everything was written with clarity that stunned me; I know I couldn’t grasp the emotions of events that happened to me years ago so vividly, yet each chapter drew me in raptly, every scene displayed in such detail that it seemed it had been written the moment it occurred. The writing is perfectly balanced; Agassi’s feelings are laid out as reactions, close enough to make you sympathize or at least understand what he’s feeling, but distant enough to leave the interpretation up to the reader. I found myself feeling what he felt, really becoming the narrator in a way I have rarely experienced in a book. It was depressing at times, but it was also extraordinarily beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open.