Michelle's Reviews > Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West

Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: korea, non-fiction, travel
Read in September, 2012

This book is about the a young man who was born in one of the worse political prison camps in North Korea.

I vaguely know about North Korea and this book is a good intoduction it makes me want to go out and read other recent books on NK. The most fascinating thing to me is how Shin Dong-Hyuk think and reacts. He was not raised in a normal family but rather as an individual with other poor prisoners and stole food from his mother who beat him. He expects people to snitch on him and distrusts other but once on the outside he has trouble knowing when to trust others and when not to trust them.

Life inside the camp's school is reliability brutal but interestingly enough he was never even though worthy enough to be taught about NK's "Great Leader". The author makes the wise decision not to portray the book as a memoir and writes about Shin at a distance, so it makes it easier to watch his behavior. On the other hand it was interesting to read how he adapted to life outside NK.

Basically, this makes me want to learn more about North Korea.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape from Camp 14.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebecca I've got a ton of books read on North Korea, check out my North Korea shelf if you want some more recs. =)