Bertpass's Reviews > The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization

The Fifth Discipline by Peter M. Senge

U_50x66
Dec 26, 08

bookshelves: business-econ
Read in August, 2002

This might very well be a seminal book in organizational performance theory, but holy moly what a convoluted mess. I am certainly not arguing that the 5 disciplines are each a cornerstone of high performance in organizations. The way Senge presented this and wrote the book really makes it fairly difficult for useful information to pop out at you. There is a lot going on here and I've always found it interesting that a proponent of team learning and personal mastery did not write his theories concisely. Be that as it may, I've used a few of these disciplines in my career to limited success (particularly systems thinking). Maybe that's because I have a hard time articulating Senge's complex thoughts to people who are manifestly not capable of hearing them. By the way, if you think "The "5th Discipline" is a handful, try his book "Presence"...he goes completely around the bend in that one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Discipline.