Amelia's Reviews > What Happens Next

What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton

Sep 13, 12

bookshelves: under-300-pages, reviewed, contemporary-fiction, best-romance, arc, 2012-2013-reading
Read from September 07 to 13, 2012

Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

When I first started into What Happens Next, I didn't know that it was a book with a strong theme of weight loss and self image running through it. Frankly, I didn't know quite what to expect. Certainly it wasn't the multi-dimensional main character, or the absolutely amazing romance, or the fantastic story. Of course I wished for all those things, but I was glad when that's exactly what I got.

The main character, Sid, had her flaws. But it was her flaws that gave her that third dimension. She was realistic by being many different things, not just a one-sided, cardboard cutout heroine. She was chaotic at times and had her hypocritical moments, but I felt she had a good heart because she was incredibly loyal to her brother, and family was important to her. As were her friends, even though they weren't stellar to her. And she was feisty! There's a single scene that sticks out to me where Sid is particularly (and hilariously) vindictive and it makes me laugh just thinking about it. That kind of lasting impression is the result of her awesome character.

What I loved most about the romance in What Happens Next was that it didn't get in my face. It took a backseat to the main theme, and having an emotional theme take the spotlight was a breath of fresh air. It also didn't carry that feeling of inevitability. From the synopsis, it's easy to deduce that Corey "The Living Stoner" Livingston is going to be a love interest, but it wasn't presented that way in the book. There was no insta-love. It felt incredibly natural. That kind of slow-growing romance let the arc of the character development shine through, so I saw how the romance shaped Sid instead of overwhelmed her.

Sid's story was amazing. Colleen Clayton doesn't focus on the horror (which I appreciate) but rather on the aftermath -- hence the title What Happens Next. It isn't depressing like a lot of close-to-home topics are (for example, Dreamland by Sarah Dessen or Willow by Julia Hoban) but instead it's an inspiring and hopeful story of how a teen can recover after a physical and emotional trauma.

I had a few issues with the writing style. It was distracting in the beginning, like it took Colleen Clayton a while to find her stride. I could see where it started to improve because the number of diamonds in the rough started to multiply exponentially. By the end, except for a few cheesy moments, I was very impressed with the way the writing style allowed Sid's story to flow effortlessly.

A great story that would definitely appeal to fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti and Laurie Halse Anderson.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happens Next.

09/09/2012 page 23