Joje's Reviews > The Dead Hour

The Dead Hour by Denise Mina

Dec 26, 2008

Read in December, 2008

This starts out a tad slow, but that fits perfectly with the heroine. It gets better and better also in line with her development. The sense of detail is good, with a near miss or 2, but not outside the genre or the characterization, and very close to the setting, the little I know of Glasgow (from others). A decent contrast to the Edinburgh mysteries, I'd say, a bit like comparing The Wire with CSI wherever. Definitely better and classier, despite the lower milieu.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Hour.

message 1: by Keri (new)

Keri Never heard of this mystery writer. Which others have you read? I would love to see how you rated those too.

Joje I had never read her at all. It is a book Claude picked up, probably in an airport (Philly?). He's read some of it, but not the best part, if he didn't finish it. The book has a list of her work, so you might find it if you look on Amazon, even the back cover where these are listed. Her first book got a prize for first thriller, and then she wrote another with this heroine.

message 3: by Keri (new)

Keri I have been reading quite a few books set in Scotland so it may fit well for me