Jeane's Reviews > Sinn Fein 1905-2005: A Centenerary History

Sinn Fein 1905-2005 by Kevin Rafter

Dec 26, 2008

bookshelves: winter-challenge, library, ireland, non-fiction

I had always heard about Sinn Fein, especially in the past when the IRA was more active in Ireland and especially Northern Ireland. But that was it, I had always just heard the name without knowing who or what it was. Now that I live in Dublin and I am interested in Ireland, its now and its past I decided to read about it.
Sinn Fein isn't a person and it wasn't a political party. It isn't the IRA and it isn't the political group for the IRA. Sinn Fein changed so much since 1905 that it has been a lot. It has been the political part of the IRA, it has been a group of people who wants Ireland unitied and the Brits out, it also has been a group of people trying to get political influence but without taking their seats in parliament.... it has been a lot. Sinn Fein means Ourselves. Sin Fein has been mainly associated with the IRA. Sinn fein has been seen as the main party standing for the unification of Ireland without British rule. Sinn fein is a political party now.
This book tells you what led to the birth of Sinn fein, its evolution, who was part of this evolution..... A very interesting book, a part of the Irish history and very well written to get a clear idea of what Sinn fein is.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sinn Fein 1905-2005.

12/26/2008 page 12