Becky's Reviews > Thematic Preaching: An Introduction

Thematic Preaching by Jane Rzepka

Sep 23, 12

Read from September 06 to 22, 2012

This was such an informative book. I am someone who has listened to many, many sermons in my life, and intend to listen to many more. This book gave me insight into sermon preparation, into sermon delivery, and into sermon context. I can't imagine an aspect of sermon preparation that this book hasn't covered. (Sermon to children? Covered. Sermon for the pledge drive? Covered. Call to action? Covered.) I read the first part of the book twice, and there was plenty of content to stimulate me the second time through, as well.

The authors not only talk about sermon preparation, they also talk about the context of the sermon. Why do people come to church, in the first place? (Reasons to be sitting in the pews are numerous.) What might the listeners be hoping for? (Again, hopes are various, ranging from a quiet place to be alone with one's thoughts, to intellectual stimulation, to inspiration.)

The authors managed to be informative and also entertaining. I think they mentioned that one minister spent 8 years exploring the book of Hebrews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thematic Preaching.