Laura Enright's Reviews > Fall of Giants

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

8519430
Sep 06, 12

I've become fascinated by World War I after researching it since it plays a part in the life of one of the characters in a vampire series I've written. It was a war that should have been studied more for it literally changed the map of the world (and in many respects helped pave the way for World War II) and actually changed the reality of warfare. I found Fall of Giants to be exceptional. I loved Pillars of the Earth and At World's End so I had high hopes for this book and I was not disappointed. Follett thoroughly engrosses the reader in a world on the brink of a major war from the politics to the human element. What was particularly well done was the sense that with the decision to go to war, friends could suddenly find themselves fighting against each other simply by virtue of what side their countries fell on. As in his other books, there are a number subplots going on, and in this novel, Follett deals with characters from different countries (not just characters from the same country) and deftly juggles the tales so that you never lose interest in each subplot. As with the other books of Follett that I've enjoyed, I listened to this on CD and was blown away by the skill of the reader who was able to dive into a variety of accents without pause. I eagerly await the next books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall of Giants.