Krystal Racca's Reviews > A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism

A Chosen Faith by John A. Buehrens

Dec 25, 2008

bookshelves: favs
Read in January, 2009

The Unitarian church is one of the few churches where I feel totally comfortable and at home; even invigorated and refueled with life after the service. Their sentiments are in line with my own, both spiritually and socially. They stand for social justice and acceptance of all walks of life, all religions, they aren't preachy or dogmatic in their sermons -which I love.

This book gets into the history of the sect (did you know that Ralph Waldo Emerson was a Unitarian??), as well as the principles and values the church strive and stand for. I picked it up because I am trying to get into the natural habit of bringing my family to their Sunday service every week; it's just not something I think about on Sunday mornings, but I'd like to start-and this book simply confirmed my desires.

Here's a link to our local UU site, the home page lists a few of the churches inherent values:

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Chosen Faith.

message 1: by Homeschoolmama (new)

Homeschoolmama Let us know what you think of this one when you read it. I like reading church history and am curious to find out more about this denomination.

Krystal Racca Will do!