Lindsaygail's Reviews > Happier at Home: Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon a Project, Read Samuel Johnson, and My Other Experiments in the Practice of Everyday Life

Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin

Sep 06, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012, life-stories, read-in-2016
Read in December, 2016

I've read The Happiness Project several times now, and I always take away something more from it than I did in previous readings, so I was very excited to read Happier at Home. I was not disappointed. I love how Rubin finds ways to enjoy her life more without changing her life dramatically. And, being a homebody myself, I loved the focus of this book on making ordinary living more enjoyable and fulfilling by appreciating what you already have and working to make the home a happy place. I think that the ways we live our day-to-day lives and how we choose to spend our time are some of the most fascinating and important topics we can think about. Rubin obviously agrees with me, so I suppose it's natural that I enjoy her writing so much.

When I read the reviewers who object to Rubin's qualification to write about these things since she has such a good life already ("privileged" is the word I see over and over) I feel like they're missing the point. Everyone has problems. Everybody needs to learn how to enjoy the life they have if they're going to be happy. The fact that Rubin has the assets that she has doesn't change the fact that she has valid things to say on these subjects, in my opinion. And what other readers saw as "smugness" I just saw as a woman demonstrating how she takes her own advice and appreciates her own blessings. I hope to be able to learn to do the same by putting some of her ideas into practice. I'm sure I'll be re-reading this one a few times as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happier at Home.

03/08/2016 marked as: read