Carissamh's Reviews > The Original Homeschooling Series

The Original Homeschooling Series by Charlotte M. Mason

Sep 06, 2012

I remember my mother having these books on her nightstand nearly all the time. When I happened to recognize Charlotte Mason's name due to this reason just a few months ago, I purchased the series via kindle and read it in a month. While I don't agree with everything laid out, I do agree on the basis of the thoughts and was taken in by the majority of what was suggested.

In her book, Mason rips apart the thoughts and philosophies commonly accepted in the educational system. Children are smarter than we give them credit for, she argues, and our highest duty to them is to raise them to discipline themselves to think as it will go far in ALL areas of life. To not let them explore and question is to inhibit their process of learning to think.

So many other areas are covered, and her theories and what not are discussed in depth. Granted the old English with the dense material can be tough to process sometimes, but it's well worth the time and effort it might take to get through it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Original Homeschooling Series.