Lizzie's Reviews > Let It Snow

Let It Snow by John Green

Jan 05, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, 2009, new-and-exciting, own
Read in January, 2009

I started reading this on Christmas Eve and finished on the last night of holiday break, so, you know, beat that. When I told Meg I received it as a Christmas present, she told me: "You can rate it on two scales: actual scale, and Christmas scale." Good thinking, except actually both scales had the same denominator dragging it down for me, which is the last story, which was a dud for me in both actualness and Christmasness.

The first two stories are really nice, Maureen Johnson's lead has a pretty good center. Quirk enough for a holiday romantic comedy, romance enough but just enough, a plot contrivance that's fun to explore. I believe it's John Green's story that talks about the sustained thrill of extreme weather situations, and both of these stories play around in that feeling in a fun way. I like Maureen Johnson's take on it, and I like her character's little fable of having a bad boyfriend and realizing it for the first time. It felt like a unique little lump, an appropriate lesson, to put into a charming romance trilogy about Christmas blizzards.

John Green does buddy comradery better than probably any other teen author, which is a good credential. He also seems to have a thing for the frantic ragtag journey, fueled with the slightly imagined and slightly testosterone-ish stakes of teenagers deciding to pursue something just for awesome's sake. That's fun to read about when it's kids in a comic story, and also it's what everyone tries to remember to want in real life. (Even if you can't do it a lot, I think wanting to is worthwhile.) Also his story made me order waffles at a diner one day.

But I just don't think Lauren Myracle's a writer for me. Based on this story, she lacks a warmth and substance that other authors value and I care about as a reader. (Even as a reader of romantic comedies for teenagers.) I knew I didn't like the story in the first chapter and it was so long and I kind of wanted to quit. The character's an asshole to read about, and the Christmas Lesson that is drilled into her is given total Disney treatment and has no actual bearing on the outcome, or actual change. The developments of the plot were a mess all over. What really drove me insane, though, was a reliance on (a personal peeve) pop-culture-dropping brand names everyfuckingwhere. It has a place, in jokes and in irony and in atmosphere, but as sheer CW-network materialism I would please not. There's something about that level of specificity that distracts from all the worth of any writing, and the constant 2008 commercial references make it feel like the story's depreciating in value every second. Also, it was the least Christmassy. The pig was ok.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let It Snow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lizzie Thank you for agreeing! It makes me feel pesky, but yeah. I'd love to read more about it, because I have been told it's a thing, a trend I guess, but I wonder what others think.