Monnie's Reviews > Bones Are Forever

Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs

Oct 06, 14

Read from September 06 to 07, 2012

Being a fan of Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan book series as well as a fan of the "Bones" TV series that features the same character (and is said to be "inspired" by the Reichs books, although rather loosely, in my opinion), it's always a treat to start a new book. Bones are Forever is the 16th in the series, I believe, and as far as I know I've read every single one.

I got the book only a few days before my husband and I were to be leaving on a four-day vacation, and I put off starting to read it because I knew I wouldn't be able to walk away with it unfinished and I certainly didn't want to squander precious vacation time doing something I can do readily at home. But then I had second thoughts, figuring what the heck - I'll get as far as I can in the three days remaining before we took off, and if necessary, well, my Kindle Fire doesn't take up all that much room.

I needn't have worried; I had no trouble finishing the whole thing within a day and a half after I started - it's exceptionally readable and not overly long (just 304 pages in print). In fact, if I have a complaint, it's that it's too easy to read - I got the feeling of a slapshot churn-it-out-just to-get-it-done approach a la James Patterson (prompting me to consider giving it just three stars).

As such, it's not the best "Bones" book Reichs has written, but neither is it the worst. In this one, the forensic anthropologist's adventures start in Montreal when she's called in to help after the discovery of three newborns dead of suspicious causes - then moves to more remote areas of Canada and a complex diamond mine caper involving several more murders. Throughout, Brennan must deal with dueling ex-lovers - homicide detective Andrew Ryan (with whom she had a long-term fling) and Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sergeant Ollie Hasty (with whom her fling was of a much shorter duration but nearly as intense).

Of course, there's the usual sorting out of the whodunits, most of which seem to come through Brennan's "Aha!" moments rather than through serious research and legwork. And of course, Brennan will find herself on the hit list (I won't reveal the plot or how she ends up in the danger zone, but I'm sure we all know she'll somehow survive to be the heroine of another book). If you want a quick and decent read that won't put a strain on your brain, this one should fill the bill nicely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bones Are Forever.

09/06/2012