Sierra's Reviews > Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business

Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business by Barbara Park

Sep 06, 12

Read in September, 2012

Cute book about a charismatic kindergartener that discovers her mother is pregnant and is not too happy about the situation at first. She is told by her parents that they have a surprise for her but her interpretation of a surprise is completely different than theirs! After her mother goes to the hospital Junie B. Jones is told by her grandma that her baby brother is the “cutest little monkey ever”. After this comical misunderstanding with her grandmother, Junie believes the baby is an actual monkey. She starts charging her friends their dearest possessions for a chance to see the new monkey, and pits them against one another in a bidding war. Eventually, she is sent to Principal Baldy. The principal then called Junie B. Jones parents and explains to them the situation and how Junie B. really does think her little brother is a real monkey. After the confusion is cleared up she understands that “a cute little monkey” means that her brother is human but just really cute! Although this book was funny, I personally really did not enjoy it and felt as though there are quite a few inappropriate parts throughout the book and although I do know that Barbara Park is notorious for incorrect grammar the grammar in this book drove me crazy!! I'd say the age range is primary to intermediate. I think advanced 5-8 years would be able to read this and definitely intermediate. The words are few syllables, which makes for an easy read but there are chapters which adds a challenge. The few pictures throughout the story were good, just simply black and white like normal and had a good amount of detail. This book would work well for children who are going to become a big brother or sister in the near future and need to understand the responsibilities of being a big brother/sister and how to treat the baby nicely!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business.