Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews)'s Reviews > Princess of the Silver Woods

Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

This is a review for the third and final novel in the series about Twelve Dancing Princesses, but what I say here about Princess of the Silver Woods holds true for all of the books. I so wanted to love these - I had heard great things and excitedly requested this as an ARC, even without reading the first two. Sadly, I was confused, bored, uninvolved from the very start, so I DNF'd 50 pages in. A week or so later, the first two went on sale for ebooks for less than $2 each. I thought I would give it another try - this time with the benefit of reading the series in order. I read the first two... and it wasn't pretty. They aren't the worst books I've ever read, but I am hard-pressed to remember a series as lackluster and unengaging as this was for me.

Each novel tackles a different fairytale, and occasionally Day George would create a new twist or idea that worked well for her books. I liked the spin on Red Riding Hood meets Robin Hood, but it's hard to recall a lot about these novels. What didn't work well, ever, were her characters. Galen, Rose, Poppy, Christian, and here in book three, Petunia and Oliver all come across as wooden and flat for the duration. Their actions are contrived, their dialogue laughable or vague, their magic and abilities too convenient or too unexplained.I wanted to like them, but their trials, tribulations and eventual coupledom were all too expected and very predictable.

Also working against the books is the worldbuilding. Or rather, the lack of any substantial effort to create a real, vibrant setting for these characters to operate upon. The thinly veiled countries that represent a more magical Europe (Breton = Britain, Spania = Spain, Russaka = Russia, so on and so forth) left a lot to be desired in terms of backdrop. It's all too simple and easy across the board - the relationships, the magic, the world itself. I wanted more from Jessica Day George, and what is provided leaves a lot to be desired.At several points in each novel, I would think that these books and characters came across as much more MG than YA in tone and characterization.

This series is too simple and predictable to be memorable. I read all three in a four day span, and I doubt I will remember anything about any of them in a week's time. All in all: third verse, same as the first. Too simple, too easy, too predictable, too short to pack a punch. The magic is too vague, or too silly (the whole knitting aspect just makes me laugh, every time), and once again, none of the characters really stood out as remarkable, or even really three-dimensional. This series is just not for me, though I can see why others are drawn to it and enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Silver Woods.

11/15/2012 page 25
7.0% "Here we go...."
11/15/2012 page 116
34.0% "This is a better go-round than the first time I tried. I guess reading the first two has its benefits."
11/15/2012 page 200
59.0% "Aaaaand I am bored. Again. Siigh. These books and I are just not a good fit."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah Marie (new)

Sarah Marie I remember thinking about reading these books at one time. Glad to know I'm not missing out. I think I'll pass on these if I'm looking for a good retelling.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Others seem to enjoy them - it just never really worked out for me. Characters are a big deal for me. If I don't like them - the world/setting has be exceptional to make me enjoy the novel. And...neither was the case here :\

message 3: by Sarah Marie (new)

Sarah Marie That's disappointing. I have to connect with the characters or find them interesting. Maybe I'll give it a shot one or maybe I won't. It'll probably be a book I never pick up.

Madsta Sorry you had a bad experience! I love them...I'm always on the edge of my seat.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) I can easily see why others love them - but I think I had built up expectations too high in my head. It's definitely a case of "it's me, not you" with these books :)

message 6: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy So glad someone thinks the same-ish about the characters, it makes a good story hard to stomach (or story idea)