Lea's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

F 50x66
Dec 25, 08

This is a heartbreaking story of three people, beginning with their life in what appears to be an elite boarding school. The children grow into adulthood, their eventual emerging into the wider world, and the unfolding of their horrific fate. This is a moral and cautiouary tale of sorts, in much the same way as Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World.' However, the story never preaches. As usual with this author, this story is carefully and patiently crafted, unfolding itself gradually, and I think it is in this way of writing that the final impact makes itself so deeply felt. The characters seem to be simple and niave, and in some way, different. It is not just the isolation of this school and the characters that is the reason for this. As they develope into adulthood, I wonder at their passivity and acceptance of their lot in life. The reason for this unfolds itself. The story reminds me of Bladerunner in its poignancy, in its exploration of what it is to be human, the plea and fight for recognition of the human soul. The comment is also, I feel, on our death denying society and its inperetive to hold on to life at any cost, even to our humanity as a species. Unlike Remains of the Day, this read was rather more harrowing. I remain in awe of this writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.