Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > Kiss of Steel

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

Feb 28, 15

bookshelves: steam-punk, romance, action-adventure, lover-the-cover, va-va-voom-vampires, hot-male-in-my-harem, best-of-the-best-2012
Read from September 06, 2012 to February 28, 2015

Honoria Todd and her younger siblings have disguised themselves and fled to Whitechapel,  the roughest and one of the most dangerous places in London, to get away from the Echelon, the people who murdered their father. Whitechapel is one of the few places where the Blue Bloods don't have complete control, instead Blade a mysterious Rogue rules over them and he seems to have taken an interest in Honoria, but can he be trusted, or will he just use them as a pawn to get the revenge he desires over the Blue Bloods he hates?

Normally I am a little suspicious of books that have kick ass covers, the quality of the content doesn't always match the beautiful wrapping, but I am pleased to say that with this book, it was fantastic both inside and outside, I. Loved. It.

The two main aspects ofKiss of Steel that earned it top marks are the new world created by Bec McMaster and the characters, especially Blade. Now I haven't actually read huge amounts of Steampunk so when I say this world was completely original bare that in mind! But it was a great mixture of historical with the setting being in a Victorianesque and paranormal with the presence of Blue Bloods, who were essentially a new and interesting take on vampires. I also liked that the Steampunk element wasn't over the top as although there were nifty gadgets being used and mechanical men, there wasn't women swaggering around in strippy tights, corsets and funny hats every 5 minutes and lots of weird and outlandish technology that needed to be overly explained. So I am definitely looking forward to the next book so I can explore this world further and delve into the more intricate aspects now that the basics have been set up.

Now Blade...he has promptly been added to my list of book boyfriends, a very bad boy who has a soft spot for those he considers his family and of course the woman he loves and a tortured past, how was I supposed to resist that? But you can't swing a cat in the romance world and not hit a hero like that, but Blade had that extra something that had me panting, darkly sensual and struggling with inner demons but determined to do right by the people he protected I was doomed to love him.  Honoria I did like, but she took some time for me to warm to and although she was a good heroine it wasn't her that stood out for me.

This book was well written, with an interesting and well crafted world with plenty of characters from some of the vile Blue Bloods to Blade's motley crew for you to get involved with, and I can't wait for the next book to come out and continue the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Steel.

02/24/2015 marked as: currently-reading
02/24/2015 page 1
0.0% "I fancied having a quick reread... I was missing Blade!"
02/28/2015 marked as: read

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Haven't started it yet, but I am hoping it is good and I love the cover!

Laura the Highland Hussy it's a very cool cover

I'm reading this one because I love the cover-does this make me a cover whore? ;)

Incarnation by Emma Cornwall

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Just finished this and it was awesome! You definitely need to give it a go!

Yes you are definitely a cover whore lmao, although I am now going to check that book out as I want to read it cos of the pretty cover!

message 5: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Heeeey, I'm cover whore too! But the first reason I want to read this because there's Paul Marron on it! :P

BTW, hi Suz! Long time no see, and sorry I'm late to say, Happy Birthday!! ^_^

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Heya Ren :) we are all book cover whores here lol I didn't even notice it was him! Although he looks nothing like the hero in this lol

Lol don't worry about it! Thank you, I am now old! Lol

Laura the Highland Hussy heh, we are such cover whores

Mad Scientist I just bought this one today because I am a cover whore. And I like it like that ;)

Laura the Highland Hussy Mad Scientist wrote: "I just bought this one today because I am a cover whore. And I like it like that ;)"

LOL you are in good company

Mad Scientist I'm just excited that about the 5 star rating. An amazing cover, fairly cheap & good content.

My last Steampunkery read was a very big bust.

Mad Scientist Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "it's a very cool cover

On the Incarnation by Athanasius"

How did you get that book early!? Jealous. It does look good.

I hardly pick up a book because I know what is inside. Covers are what draw me. Sometimes I'm amazed that I have such and eclectic taste in book because I'm so easily distracted by prettiness.

Laura the Highland Hussy Mad Scientist wrote: "Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "it's a very cool cover

On the Incarnation by Athanasius"

How did you get that book early..."

I got it for review :)

And what was your steampunk let-down?

message 13: by Mad Scientist (last edited Sep 09, 2012 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mad Scientist Review... You lucky Duck!

You would think I would get more Steampunkery books for review since that is my main area. I must be a slacking somewhere along the line. LOL!

God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1) by Kate Locke Such a pretty cover too! But there was hardly any Steampunkery that it just let me down. Esp since I picked it up for that purpose... Steampunkery goodness.

Laura the Highland Hussy aww, bummer. Are you a Meljean Brook fan? Her stuff is amazing

Mad Scientist You know I have her first book which I bought when borders was going out of business but I haven't gotten to it. I here so many mixed things about it. I should jump in because I hear the adult parts are steamy.

Laura the Highland Hussy I love her Steampunk series. I think it's how Steampunk should be written :)

message 17: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Suzanne the Mighty ~Satin Seductress~ wrote: "Heya Ren :) we are all book cover whores here lol I didn't even notice it was him! Although he looks nothing like the hero in this lol

Lol don't worry about it! Thank you, I am now old! Lol"

What, you don't recognize him? *gasp*. You guys even feature him on your blog :P

Heh, I'm old too. But still feel young ;)

I buy this today, since I'm a cover whore, the reviews had been so good so far :)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) That sucks that God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1) by Kate Locke wasn't good, I wanted to read that! And the cover would look so good on my shelf!

I haven't read much Steampunk so I am not sure how steampunkey this book is in comparison to others but I did really like it

message 19: by Mad Scientist (last edited Sep 11, 2012 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mad Scientist I'm glad someone enjoyed it. I would of if I wasn't expecting something I didn't get. :(

It wasn't horrid. Just not what I wanted or needed.

J~*Bhook-Junkhie Great review..Im going to start this tonight and now I really cant wait:)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Thanks Jen, I hope you enjoy it!