Megan's Reviews > Rebel Cities: From the Right to the City to the Urban Revolution

Rebel Cities by David Harvey

Sep 07, 2012

bookshelves: politics, economy
Read from September 05 to 07, 2012

See David Harvey do beautiful and practical things with Marxist theory!

For me, this book was a real coming-together of scattered bits of thought that have been gathering for some time now, about rent-as-debt, cultural production as a force in gentrification, and organizing around living issues (housing, quality of life) as central to labor and anti-capitalist organizing. At the same time, it was a useful challenge to certain habits of thought I've developed and language I sometimes use a little uncritically (local is good! greater autonomy is good!) and pushed me to spend more time thinking, once again, about really big-picture movement strategy.

Each chapter, to some extent, can be read on its own - for those not wanting to dedicate time to the whole book, I recommend the middle three ("The Creation of the Urban Commons," "The Art of Rent," and "Reclaiming the City for Anti-Capitalist Struggle"). The last two chapters are, sadly, really throw-away pieces on the Occupy movement - I'm sure they were fine as originally published but don't really see them as contributing very much to the project of this book.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel Cities.

02/27 marked as: read

message 1: by Erik (new)

Erik This book came to mind during the Chicago Teachers Union strike, when I was thinking about how the mandatory Chicago residence for CPS teachers played in.