Patrick's Reviews > Enchanters' End Game

Sep 06, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy-not-ya
Read from September 04 to 06, 2012

Meh. I like many of the characters, but they do the same things in the same way for 5 books and it just wore on me. Many things were resolved too easily, and some were not resolved at all except in a sentence. e.g. Barak's been freaking out about his bear possession for 5 books and it's resolved in one sentence in a flashback saying now he's dealt with it.

Ce'Nedra was apparently supposed to show maturity and growth, but I think she showed very little progression. It's hard to root for this obnoxious girl to end up with the humble, likable Garion.

One of the superfriends finally died...but of course he gets brought back to life.

I like some of the climax with Torak. I like it when there's a creative ending to a big bad beyond just physical confrontation, but I can't decide if how Garion vanquished him was satisfying or not. So-so I guess. I didn't understand Errand's role in this book at all, or what he or Ce'Nedra had to do with the prophecy and why they had to be at the climax.

I actively dislike the "trapped by prophecy" theme forcing characters into roles with no choices. The long denouement after beating Torak was mostly boring, and the last vignette with the stone was unnecessary and boring. I commented more in depth in the last book how I dislike that race completely determines personality and intelligence. All of race x are stupid, no exceptions. All of race y are violent brawlers, no exceptions. By comparison, Lord of the Rings shows individuals with unique characteristics while still having generalizations that are true about most of a race.

I just read that this is supposed to be YA, and it's basically clean enough. But despite Garion and Ce'Nedra, I think the themes and characterization seem geared toward adults, as well as the length and boringness.

I think Lord of the Rings mostly holds up still today. I think this suffers along with series like the Prydain Chronicles and would not be published as a new series today.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchanters' End Game.