Wordsmith's Reviews > Blue Nights

Blue Nights by Joan Didion

Sep 06, 2012

bookshelves: death-non-violent, bestsellers, family-saga, favorite-author, health, review-needed, recommended, library-loan, love, non-fiction, memoir-autobiography, mother-n-child, ranking-2012-reads-processing
Recommended for: Anyone, Parents and Children Alike
Read on September 07, 2012 , read count: 1

Review coming...5th in line! Note to self: Do not cast your eyes on or in another written object until one (or more!) item(s) from your backlog of procastination is crossed off. Until then:

Blue Nights is a love letter from Joan Didion to her daughter Quintana Roo. Her faults are laid bare. I'm sure there are many more. Faults have no meaning to love felt. Children don't understand this with their unlived minds. Such is life. She lays her heart out, flayed. Her grieving a language we can feel. All over. Inside: It eats at you. The guilt. Outside: It diminishes you. The very you who you were—are?—were? It blurs. For one who stood so high, those who never did as well. Feelings are universal. Outstanding Book, "Blue Nights," more than anything I took going into it. I recommend this book as well as it's predecessor "The Year Of Magical Thinking."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Nights.

09/08/2012 page 150
72.0% "I did it again, opened a book, on my kindle, out of curiosity, boredom, procrastinating on writing, 1 or all of these heck I don't know but what I DO know is that on page 5 I had big globules of water in the corner of both my eyes obscuring my vision to the very words that spoke to every mothers heart, so profoundly true it brought on a fear so palpable the only way to turn the page was to sigh & cry. Just like her."
09/08/2012 page 207
99.0% "Note to self: Do not cast your eyes on or in another written object until one item in from your backlog is crossed off. Blue Nights is a love letter from Joan Didion to her daughter Quintana Roo. Her faults are laid bare. I'm sure there are many more. Faults have no meaning to love felt. Children don't understand this with their unlived minds. Such is life. She lays her heart bare in language we feel. Outstanding."

Wordsmith I still have to write the actual review!