Megan Baxter's Reviews > Night Watch

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

5742086
May 19, 2014

Read from September 18 to 28, 2012

Somehow Terry Pratchett seems to go down particularly well when I'm not feeling at my best. I've read several that I've enjoyed but not been particularly grabbed by. In comparison, the times that I've read one of his books while sick or exhausted, I have liked them a whole lot more.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
21 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Watch.

Quotes Megan Liked

Terry Pratchett
“When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend.”
Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

Clouds One of my fave Discworld books :-)

message 2: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten Pratchett sounds unhealthy to read. Does it make you paranoid that you are smote by some contagion and ready to hand is Pratchett?

Megan Baxter A little bit, yes! It's like he's planning it that way....

Melki I'll be reading Guards! Guards! next month. Happy to hear it's a good one.

Megan Baxter I really enjoyed it, and I hope you do too!

Andrea The Watch is one of the best parts of Discworld. I love the way the watchmen evolve thru the books. Terry Pratchett is amazing. I met him at a book launch some years ago - I said to him "Mr Pratchett, thank you for all the hours of pleasure" to which he answered "thank you for all your money"!!!

Megan Baxter That's amazing! (I've read them all from the library, though, so he hasn't gotten any money from me yet.)

Andrea Was one of the higlights of my life. I bought them all, even the maps.
Another book-related highlight was at a Raymond E Feist launch, they got Sir Ed Hillary to speak as well cos he loved Feist's books. Was so sweet, Feist said how Sir Ed was one of his heroes, and Sir Ed said he loved Feist's book cos at the end of each book the story was finished. LOL, either very deep or not, take your pick.

[Name Redacted] I save Pratchett books for when I'm depressed or on vacation. It lightens my mood in the former case, and enhances the latter.

Megan Baxter Seems like a good plan!

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Peto Why are there so many Discworld books? I'm afraid to investigate them because I associate them with Shannara. Nation is a stand alone, isn't it? Maybe I should try that one.

Andrea Jonathan wrote: "Why are there so many Discworld books? I'm afraid to investigate them because I associate them with Shannara. Nation is a stand alone, isn't it? Maybe I should try that one."

oh heavens, NOTHING like Shannarah - nothing repetitive. ANd so funny you will literally roflmao. There are so many because the man is a genius and has populated a world with heaps of different cultures and races. Don't start with Nation. Start with one of the earlier one, and Colour Of Magic was very early and might put you off. Start with the Witches, or Mort, or Sourcery.

Megan Baxter Yeah, I echo Andrea, they're nothing like Shannara in tone, or content. They are very fun. I wobble between liking and loving them, but they are well worth a read.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Peto Andrea wrote: "Witches, or Mort, or Sourcery"

Got it. Will at some point. Thank you.

message 15: by Piia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Piia Bredenberg Megan, I do the exact same thing as you. When I'm under the weather, Pratchett's books are what I reach for every time. That's just uncanny.

Megan Baxter I don't know what it is about them! But it's interesting to hear that that's someone else experience too.

message 17: by Piia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Piia Bredenberg I think Pratchett has a way of putting one's misery in perspective in a strange way.
He might be jaded but he's funny ;)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) Sounds like Pratchett's books might be a bit of a comfort read. I've been meaning to start this series but just haven't gotten around to it. Next time I'm feeling unwell, I'm cracking open book 1. (I'm anal about reading them in order).

Otherwyrld Jonathan wrote: "Why are there so many Discworld books? I'm afraid to investigate them because I associate them with Shannara. Nation is a stand alone, isn't it? Maybe I should try that one."

Funny you should say that - my partner wouldn't read the Discworld books for years because he mixed Terry Pratchett up with Terry Brooks. Needless to say, he loved them once he actually got over this mistake and actually read the books!

message 20: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Peto Otherwyrld wrote: "Needless to say, he loved them once he actually got over this mistake and actually read the books!"

I wonder if Terry Brooks knows he has this effect on Terry Pratchett's sales.