BiblioJen's Reviews > Rift

Rift by Andrea Cremer

Sep 09, 12

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from September 06 to 08, 2012

I was one of the (more than several) folks VERY disappointed by the conclusion of Andrea Cremer's original "Nightshade" trilogy. Like, MAD and FELT TOTALLY CHEATED and CAN'T BELIEVE I INVESTED THREE BOOKS' WORTH OF ENERGY FOR IT TO END LIKE THIS!!!! That kind of disappointed.

So, when I finally decided to give "Rift" a chance, it was with my finger poised over the "stop" button, ready to drop it at the slightest provocation. I am surprised and quite pleased to report that I was never even tempted. This? This is a good book! It has all of the strengths of the earlier "Nightshade" series (great world building, good action scenes, excellent supporting cast) without the shattering flaws (mainly, the terrible characterization and eventual literary mutilation of the main characters. And an indescribably bad love triangle.)

Was it perfect? No ... the language and actions of the characters were WAY too modern for the historical setting, and Ember was just naturally good at everything with no real training or practice, which stretched my suspension of disbelief. But it was solid. The world Cremer has created is very intriguing. The romance in this book was believable. The lure of evil was subtle, seductive, almost sensuous, as all good lures should be. The action was tight, and well-paced, and Ember's father was a good catalyst for the sequence of events that led to, well, the rift at the end of the book. (I know, I groaned too. Too tired to fix it!)

I am really looking forward now to "Rise," which is due out early next year. Redemption for the original trilogy? Well, no. But a much better showing!

AUDIOBOOK NOTE: I thought the narrator started out a little shaky, but gained confidence as the story went on. All in all, a good performance. Set in Scotland, so ... Gavin beware. :-)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rift.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Thanks for the warning. I've listened to the audio sample and I don't know if I could manage twelve hours of the accents!.

I seem to be finding it hard to avoid Scottish accents lately. I thought Phil Gigante did a good job with Beyond the Highland Mist and I'll happily continue with that series, but I did have to stop listening to the Graphic Audio version of Warbreaker and switch to the normal unabridged version to avoid some unnecessary Scottish accents.

My tolerance will be pushed to the limit when I try Night Embrace as the main character Talon, has a strong Scottish accent.

Great review and I do really appreciate the audio note.