Deanne's Reviews > The Daughter of Time

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

May 24, 2014

bookshelves: crimethriller, history, top-100-crime-novels
Read in January, 2009 , read count: 2

Read this but in light of recent events in Leicester I feel like reading this again.
For those who don't know recently archaeologists have been digging up a car park in Leicester in the hopes of finding Richard III. Heard today that they've found a skeleton in a medieval grave, with a curvature of the spine, a head injury and an arrow head in between two of the vertebrae. The skeleton was also found where records said he was buried in the choir of the church.
Now the debate is on as to where the remains should be buried, personally I think he should be interred in the cathedral at Leicester, as he's been in the parish for 500 years.
Apart from that I enjoyed the book the first time.
Found out today that Richard will be interred in Leicester cathedral. It's only taken two years for them to decide that he can be buried 100 yards or so from his last burial place.
22 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daughter of Time.

12/28/2008 page 121

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I just read about the skeleton being found. Interesting.

message 2: by Mikela (new) - added it

Mikela This sounds fascinating!

Deanne One of Mum's friends pointed out he should be charged for using the car park, had to point out he was under the car park, not on top.

message 4: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila Deanne,they confirmed it was Richard the Third.The mystery is finally solved.....He will get a proper burial after 528 years!Now I'll have to read Shakespeare's play....P.S. Richard loved to eat fish.

Deanne Henry I come from Leicester, was at Bradgate park today, the birthplace of Lady Jane Grey, queen for nine days. The city is very pleased that we get to keep him, glad they've picked St Martin's and not jewry wall.

Deanne Turns out the arrow was a roman nail which happened to get in the grave.

message 7: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila You are lucky Deanne, and born in Robin Hood's hometown too!

Deanne Love history, but you get to live in San Diego.

message 9: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila Yes,the prettiest city in America(say its inhabitants and I agree). Loved the Lady Jane Grey film,she was more than a nine day wonder!

message 10: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Some of us are talking on another thread and think Hilary Mantel should do for Richard III what she's done for Cromwell. I know I'd read it.

Dawna I personally thin King Richard III should be buried along
side his wife in Westminster Abbey..

message 12: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Dawna wrote: "I personally thin King Richard III should be buried along
side his wife in Westminster Abbey.."

I'm currently reading The King's Grave: The Discovery of Richard III's Lost Burial Place and the Clues It Holds which is really interesting. It seems there are reasons for interment in Leicester Cathedral. If I'm remembering correctly from the text (it's more difficult to flip through an ecopy), remains are supposed to be reburied in the nearest sanctified ground.

Deanne In order to carry out the excavation a license had to be obtained which basically seems to say that any remains found would be interred in the nearest consecrated ground, Leicester cathedral.

message 14: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Thanks Deanne for the confirmation.

Dawna In the middle of reading it so far so good.

Dawna Glad he has had the last word and has been found after so long and his bad treatment and lies amended and revisited.

Andrea Willers I think that 'dig' is a sham and a disgusting hoax.

Dawna Andrea wrote: "I think that 'dig' is a sham and a disgusting hoax."

Not a hoax they have scientific proof .. bones with scoliosis and DNA CONFIRMATION..

Andrea Willers oh yer yawn
I got this email just before the diggers moved in.
I posted this blog on a history forum

message 20: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Dawna wrote: "Glad he has had the last word and has been found after so long and his bad treatment and lies amended and revisited."

I agree. I have enjoyed Tey's book both times I've read it.

Deanne Went to Leicester cathedral today to see the new tomb, it's the centre of the cathedral. Still lots of visitors, and currently there is no charge to go in. Sad the same can't be said for some of the others.