Mattie Haag's Reviews > At First Sight

U 50x66
Sep 16, 12

it was ok
Read from September 06 to 14, 2012

I began reading this book as it was the only one I could find around. Wary from the start because of a personal bias against Nicholas Sparks, who is known for his sappy and clichéd novels, I found myself a bit more interested than I had expected. At First Sight is the sequel to a previous book in which Jeremy and Lexie meet, fall in love, and decide to get married. In this story, their epic love saga is continued- we find out that Lexie is pregnant, Jeremy is moving down to her home in small town North Carolina, and they are going to start a family together despite the unconventional circumstances and the odds. However, when ominous emails start coming warning Jeremy of his wife’s hidden past, the rushed relationship goes from rocky ground to complete instability. Problems are thrown at the couple from left and right, including pregnancy complications and Jeremy’s inability to write his columns, and the only thing the two have to hold on to is, of course, their undying love for each other.
Sparks’ writing is, to his credit, beautiful- he artistically applies numerous and varied literary devices as well as wonderful imagery. He paints as scene with realistic characters and situations, making the reader feel as if he/she is part of the story. The plot twists are, as promised by the back cover, surprising, and the overall chain of events kept my attention more than I imagined it would. However, I found the romanticism overwhelming and almost suffocating, the characters flighty and unlikeable, and, as I had predicted even from before I turned the first page, a teenage girl’s dream- one huge, unrealistic cliché. For the sake of recommendation, I would say that anyone looking for a light and simple read would enjoy it. For everyone else, however, I would suggest just waiting for the movie; it’s bound to come out soon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At First Sight.