Lisa's Reviews > Reckless Magic

Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson

Sep 06, 12

Read in September, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I got this book free from the Kindle shop and delayed reading for it a while. Eden Matthews is 16 and has changed school yet again after various incidents at her previous schools ensured that she had to leave. She makes a fool of herself on the first day in front of two new pupils, Kiran and Talbot and things start to go from bad to worse after that as Eden seems to have excessive energy to burn off which creates havoc around herself. On a school camping trip, after drenching her fellow pupils in river water, Eden, her only friend Lilly, Kiran and Talbot go for a walk. Suddenly they're surrounded and attacked which reveals dangerous secrets about her friends to Eden. Now Eden's battle is between loyalty to her past or her possible future, with good and evil allegedly battling each other.

I did enjoy this book and found it hard to put down at times although some of the editing leaves a lot to be desired and it is 'American' English so some words are used like 'dove' or 'pled' instead of 'dived' or 'pleaded' which grated a bit with me. There are also some extranous words in sentences where the author has evidently changed a sentence later on. The story itself was fine but a little slow getting going after the prologue - one wonders why Eden was not sat down a bit earlier by the people that loved her and told what might happen to her instead of being let loose, wondering what was happening to her. It also had (as you might expect) strong similarities to other 'magical' books, almost too strong in some instances. I probably will buy the other books on kindle if they're not too expensive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reckless Magic.